Creativity and New Media

When I was younger I used to play all sorts of games. I was fond of adventurous games and shooters as well. However, the genre that always appealed to me the most had to be sports. I've always enjoyed playing basketball or soccer video games since those are my two favorite sports. Over the past couple of years games such as NBA 2K and FIFA have incorporated the "my player" feature within their games. This feature has been popular ever since it was created because it gives gamers the freedom to create their own avatars and to live vicariously through them. For instance, I've used the my player feature within FIFA. Once I began I was welcomed by a screen similar to the one I've posted below. I was able to customize how I wanted my player to look. In addition to that, the my player feature also enabled me to decide which attributes I wanted to equip my player with. These "my player" features are additions that gamers look forward to. It enhances the overall experience because creating an avatar and using it to play makes the game seem more realistic.

Comments

  1. Hey Deshawn!

    Right off the bat, let me just say I'm not much of a sports person. With that said, I recently took interest (much to my surprise) in watching the latest FIFA tournament play out in the World Cup. Accordingly, I think I might actually take a look at the game you posted about! I think it's pretty neat that the newly added features of the "My Player" component were incorporated because, like you said, it makes the game much more realistic. To add on to your point about it enhancing the game, I can understand your perspective because I feel like it makes the game much more interactive knowing that you, yourself, customized your own avatar which you then get to play as: in a sense, you really are living "vicariously through them" as you said. I'm not surprised the feature is as popular as you said it is--being able to become the "star player" among a team of 'computerized,' but still reminiscent, your favorite players.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts